Thursday, July 16, 2009

Hope I can stay awake!


The kids and I are heading to out to see the new Harry Potter movie tonight. I did not sleep but 2 hours tops last night, and I am TIRED. I am also having stomach problems. I hope I can make it through the movie. I am excited to go though!
UPDATE: I was extremely disappointed. But I am not sure if it's because I was not feeling well, or if the movie was really that bad. SPOILER ALERT: (don't read any farther if you don't want to know ANYTHING about the movie)
We saw this in a brand new digital deluxe theatre. Leather seats that rocked, tons of leg room, huge huge screen, really nice surroundings. We had perfect seats because we were at the front of the line.
Now, it's been awhile since I read the book and I remember at the time I dubbed it the "hormonal teen" saga. Well, that is what the movie seemed to focus on most was all the stupid crushes between the characters, which in my opinion, was NOT the main focus of the story.
They pretty much omitted a load of detail about the "good wizards" club and the "bad wizards" club.... this is the book where you learn for SURE that Snape is on the side of the Dark Lord, but they hardly touched upon it. The book had you wondering through the whole thing if he really is on the Dark side, or if he is torn between the good and the dark, and in the movie... they omit that. They did not explain what the deal was with Malfoy and why he was behaving the way he was which did nothing more than make you think "What the hell is up with him?" everytime you see him. For those who read the book, you know what is going on, but what I liked about the previous movies is that they could stand on their own and make sense to people who NEVER read the book.
In this case, if you had not read the book, or if you had forgotten the book (like I had) then you were totally LOST through the whole thing and had no clue what was going on.
In reading the book, the absolute part of the story that took my breath away was when , er... a main character bites the dust and how it happened and it was so undramatic in the movie that I didn't feel a thing. Nothing. Could have cared less. I was crying when I read the book, but I almost yawned in the movie.
And puhleeze..... after that character is dead and the students do a "flick your bic" moment... I had to bite my tongue NOT TO LAUGH OUT LOUD..... Some people were sniffling in the audience and I guess I just totally missed the boat on that because it did not hit my heart strings in the least. Again, maybe because I was not feeling well.
I was also disappointed that they barely touched on how events in the wizarding world were causing the tragedies in the muggle world. That parallel was really well written in the book, and you see death eaters causing a bridge collapse in the movie, but it's barely touched upon and not explained at all and there were so many more tragedies in the book that just showed how the veil between the wizard/muggle world was getting thinner and thinner because of all the goings on..... none of that made it in the movie.
The scene where a family's house is destroyed had no effect on me either because you just don't understand WHY it was happening. They really botched the whole freaking storyline of good vs evil that was the predominant part of this book.
Less Snogging and more wizardry! Come on people!
And my biggest pet peeve about this movie..... they were so many allusions to alcohol and drugs in it that I was really unhappy. These are kids, still, and yet they were drinking a LOT at parties, and at the pub, and taking potions (aka drugs) and getting loopy. As a parent, that pissed me off.
So yeah, I am not happy with it. At all.

No comments: