Friday, October 23, 2009

Feel good ditties.


I like to do things for people. I have a generous nature. Too generous some would say. But I always think of the scripture about if a man asks you for your coat, give him your cloak too, or if he asks you to go a mile with him, go two miles with him.
I also believe in Karma. Send out good and it will come back to you.
Back when Hurricane Katrina hit a few years ago, I somehow found a gal on the internet named Christine. I honestly do NOT know WHERE I found her, but I read her story of how she and her son (she was a single mom with a 4 year old boy) lost everything in the hurricane and they had to swim for their lives, and there were bodies floating in the water, and the devastation was awful.... and she lost family members, etc.... I wanted to help her. My son David and I sent her money, Walmart gift cards, clothing, personal items, and the one thing her son lost that was so hard for him was his little gameboy. So David donated his very own gameboy and all his games to this little boy that he didn't even know. It was a big sacrifice for David but he did it willingly and to this day he still remembers how good he felt about it. As a result, she and I have kept in touch via email, and sent each other Christmas cards, and hope to meet in person one of these days.
I made sandwiches for the men's homeless shelter once. It was a relief society activity but it was one of the funnest ones I have ever attended.
I've raised close to $5000 over the past 2 years for the Breast Cancer walk. And participated in the walk. I wrote the book about my sister-in-law's cancer experience and published at my own expense. I have not made a dime off it. In fact.... I spent almost $4000 on it and have received not even half of it back..... but I know that book touches people's hearts and that is all that counts.
I have had friends who were down on their luck and needed money and if I have it.... I give it. I don't do it conditionally. I do it UNconditionally. My philosophy is that the Lord put us here to help others. He gave me means to do it. I am not going to see someone suffer if I have the means to help. Whether it's food, money, time... I don't care. And if giving to them means I have to make sacrifices..... well, isn't that what it's all about???
I have donated furniture and LOTS of clothing to an Indian reservation in New Mexico.
I have been known to take food to people and leave it on their doorsteps when I know they need it.
I have limited means.... and in this day and age, people may think I am not wise to give of my substance so freely, but I feel an obligation to do it. I just HAVE to do it, otherwise I feel so selfish.
I think everyone deserves the chance to be loved and cared for, and given the opportunity to better their lives and their own situations. And if I can be a part of that...... I am happy to do it.
I bake a lot of goodies and sell them at work.... but I don't make a profit on it. I do it because I like to do it.
Am I weird???
I'm not trying to toot my own horn..... or ask for praise, or credit or anything. I do this stuff anonymously most of the time. And I am just writing about it here, because I love the concept of Pay It Forward and hope that people reading this will start doing good things for others....
Or at least that my family will understand me a little more.

3 comments:

travelady said...

I have never met you, nor do I know much about you...but I do know you are awesome and super cool....one in a million.

Caroline said...

If the whole world were like you, the world would be so much better.

Hotflash said...

Thank you ladies for those very sweet comments. I really wasn't looking for kudos. You are most kind. The reason I started thinking about all that stuff is because my son and I just volunteered stuff with a project at his school called "Harmony for Humanity" and it made us both feel really good. There is a sweet video about it, that I will try to post on FB if I can.