Friday, February 7, 2014

Quinoa stuffed acorn squash


half acorn squash roasted 40 min at 400 degrees

sauteed goodness


So I started trying to eat more whole foods and less processed stuff. I got a recipe for some wild rice stuffed acorn squash and wanted to try it but I didn't have the wild rice. So I substituted quinoa.

It was very easy and pretty tasty.

Split the acorn squash in half  and scoop out seeds. Put cut side down on baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes at 400 degrees.

If you haven't already cooked some quinoa, do so. You will need a cup of cooked grain.

In a fry pan, sautee 2 TB minced red onion, 1 apple, chopped, (I left the skins on), some dried cranberries (I think I used 1/4 cup), some pecans (I used 1/4 cup of pecan bits), and a few teaspoons of coconut oil.

Sautee until the onions are soft.  Then add 1 cup of cooked quinoa (or wild or brown rice). And a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon. Last, a sprinkle of sea salt.

Scoop into the acorn squashes and eat.

Serves 2.

If it is not "sweet" enough for you, drizzle with a little honey. Or maple syrup.

No comments: