Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Losing my (coupon) virginity

the cart at checkout

25% off my bill

the rewards



















Last night I ventured to my local Walmart. I chose Tuesday because they double coupons up to $1 on that day. I had my stack of coupons, my list, and my hope that I would have a successful trip and save some money off my bill.

My expectations were not too high. I knew that based on ads and prices and coupons, I did not have the "extreme" advantage of getting $500 worth of stuff for $15. That takes practice.

But I bought items that I use. Because I still don't understand people who buy 100 dog collars just because they are "free" and they don't get a dog....

I also don't want a ton of junk food.

I did do a great deal on cereal. Walmart prices are really low on cereal anyway... so having cents off coupons and doubling them made most of my cereal boxes end up a dollar or a dollar and a half.

My cashier was a young man who informed me he was "new". I thought "uh oh... we are in for a good time." I told him it was my first time using coupons. He said he was up to the challenge.

I told him that I was told that walmart doubles the coupons and he wasn't sure about that (being new and all). But it worked out.

He was extremely slow scanning the coupons which made the line behind me get a bit annoyed. I tried to go late at night (well... 9pm is late for me) but there was still a LOT of people in the store.

Next time maybe I go at 6 am.

Anyhow, I ended up saving 25% on my bill. I know this because when I got home, David took my receipt and added everything up on his calculater. Oddly enough, the receipt does NOT give me a total on how much money my coupons saved so we had to do that manually.

I had around $168 worth of items which ended up being about $132 in the end.

For my first time.......... I think that was a success.

Now..........in search of bigger and better!!!

No comments: