Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Favorite COOK -- MY MOM.


Everything I learned about cooking and baking I got from my mom, my dad, my grandmothers. My mom was a very good cook and she made the most AWESOME stuffing for thanksgiving.
I've debated whether to share her recipe or not... but really it's sooo incredibly SIMPLE and there is no secret to it.... that I guess I should.
TIPS TO HAVE A THANKSGIVING MEAL LIKE MY MOM USED TO MAKE:
Turkey: Use Norbest or Butterball. Always buy frozen and let it thaw for several days in your refrigerator. The night before baking you can rinse it thoroughly with ice cold water, remove the giblets and cook them if you want to put them in your stuffing. (Mom did that sometimes, but I don't usually do it.)
Stuffing: For a 20 pound turkey I use 2 packages of Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing. I chop up sweet onion (whatever it suggests on the back... I think it's a cup per package) and I sautee the onions in butter. I bring the amount of WATER called for to a boil. I prefer water. I tried it with chicken broth and it was too salty. I put unsalted butter (I think it's a stick per package) and just make it according to the directions ON the package. What makes this stuffing is that you have to be sure you use PEPPERIDGE FARM HERB SEASONED in the BLUE bag.
Mix it up. Pack it loosely in balls and stuff it up the turkey, both sides, the neck area and the cavity area. Allow for expansion so you don't want to pack it real tight inside. And you will have some left over, so just pack it into balls and put it around the OUTSIDE of the turkey. It will absorb the drippings and be awesome.
For my Turkey, I do not put ANYTHING on it except basting it with melted butter. Seriously. I know people who load it with spices. But I don't do ANYTHING to it. And it's always terrific. I put my spices in the gravy and use the gravy for good flavoring.
Those are my two secrets... my two "family secrets" for good turkey and stuffing. It's so easy that anybody can do it!!!

No comments: