Thursday, July 5, 2012

Farewell Uncle Ed


 My most favorite uncle in the world passed away yesterday, July 4, 2012. When I was a little girl I couldn't say "Uncle Eddie" so I called him "Uncle Sheshy." And he drove a red mustang convertible -- FAST -- which I dubbed "the Sheshy mobile".

When I was about 15, I became part time nanny to their three kids, Little Ed, Missy and Jason. Every day after school, I got off the bus at their house and took care of the kids, and house, and cooked dinner, did laundry, cleaned, etc... until 9 o'clock at night. And then I'd often spend all day Saturday there too. Aunt Cheryl worked at the hospital. Jason was just a wee one... 9 months old, and he saw me more than his momma for a little while and started calling me "Mommy Mick".

I did that for about a year. Then Cheryl changed her hours so she was home more. But it was good memories for me. Uncle Ed bringing me home every night in his pick up truck.

He always ate the dinner I cooked, even though at age 15 about the best I could do was macaroni and cheese with hotdogs. He never complained.

Ed and Cheryl always had a beautiful home. (He was, after all, a house builder for many years before working at Putney Paper). One of the homes they had in Brattleboro was so incredibly awesome that I videotaped it so I could have decorating ideas!

Several years ago, Uncle Ed was diagnosed with lung cancer. Even though he had quit smoking years prior... the damage was done. And when I heard he had lung cancer I thought that was the end of my uncle Ed. But that man managed to live for several more years! The Aplins are hardy stock for sure.

The last time I saw my uncle Ed, was in Dunkin Donuts having coffee and a donut. I was home in Putney for a visit and Dad and I stopped in to the Dunkin Donuts and there was a voice that hollered "Well, hello! What are you doing here Michelle?" and I looked and saw Uncle Ed. He actually took my breath away for a minute because he looked so much like my grandpa (his father), who had passed away. I almost thought I was seeing a ghost.

We sat and had a great chat. Dad said that soon after that, Ed stopped going to Dunkin Donuts because his health declined too much and he couldn't get out that much.

So, Uncle Ed has joined his mom, dad, sisters Mary (my mom), Joyce, brother David. And Uncle Ed and Cheryl had a little baby boy, Donald, that passed away. He will be missed. He was greatly loved by many.


No comments: