Monday, October 28, 2013

Rice Pudding

medium grain white

my rice cooker/crockpot

rice pudding


I make a really awesome rice pudding on the stove that is creamy and delicious but it requires a LOT of work. So I have experimented with making some in the rice cooker/crockpot. It comes out MUCH drier which is ok. My son actually prefers it that way and has been gobbling this kind up. My recipe at the moment is sort of high calorie, but I will eventually experiment with non-fat or low-fat milk etc.

However this is how I have been making it in my new Aroma Rice Cooker/crockpot.

1 cup of medium grain white rice. I like the Hinode Calrose Rice shown above. Rinse it well first.
3/4 cup sugar
4 1/2 cups of whole milk
1 tablespoon of butter cut up (if it's cold, or just put in if it's room temperature)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg but not put in until later.

In my rice cooker bowl I mix the rice, sugar, milk, butter, vanilla and cinnamon. I put it on "HIGH" for 2 hours. When the cooker beeps that it is done I whip one egg with a fork in a small bowl, then add a spoonful of the hot rice mixture to the egg, stir that together and then dump that mixture into the rice cooker. Stir well and let the cooker sit on "Warm" for about 10 or 15 minutes. Remove from cooker and put in a bowl. Let cool and then cover and refrigerate.

I have also added a teaspoon of almond extract to it when I add the egg.

I think if you wanted it to stay creamier you could add more milk. But since David prefers it "dry" I have been making it this way.

It's fast, simple, easy, and delicious. Since my stomach has been bothering me, I have tried to eat mostly rice all the time and so this has been my breakfast. Delicious.

No comments: