Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Yum

George and I have been trying to eat healthier. Eat less meat, and more grains and veggies. Less processed food and more whole foods. I made quinoa and black beans last night and we both LOVED it.

Here is the recipe:
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon oil.

In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat and then cook the onion, pepper and garlic for about 5 minutes or till softened.

Add 3/4 cups quinoa and 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth. 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Then add 1 cup of frozen corn. And a 1/2 cup cilantro. (I don't like fresh cilantro that much, so I used a shake of dried cilantro).

Cover and cook another five minutes on low.

Drain and rinse two cans of black beans with jalapenos. Add to the quinoa mixture and warm through for about 3 minutes.

Very good. Very healthy. Quinoa is a complete protein.

1 comment:

The Lamoreauxs said...

Funny I made almost the exact same recipe a few days ago except I used chicken broth which gave it a nice flavor. I really liked it too. Oh and there wasn't a red pepper in mine, but I bet that would be good too.