Friday, June 1, 2012

Tastebuds are changing!


 I have ALWAYS had a sweet tooth. Sugar has always been my drug of choice. It is rare I can say no to a donut, or a piece of pie. I have been known to DRINK Karo syrup. And Maple syrup.

Yeah.... sugar is not my friend. It's my pusher.

My blood sugar levels have become HIGH. So high in fact, that my doctor warned me she is going to put me on diabetes medicine if I don't improve those numbers by September.

So, I have made a valiant effort to change my eating habits. DRAMATICALLY.
I have been taking some of the supplements Dr. Oz recommends. I also went on his sugar busting diet. I have incorporated TONS of vegetables into my daily diet.

I drink herbal teas. I used to always have to put two packets of Stevia (plant based sweetener) in my tea. Now, I can drink most of them without ANY sweetener.

I would eat fresh strawberries, but then again, they HAD to have sugar or Stevia on them. I ate a whole bowl of strawberries yesterday with NO sweetener!  Sounds like a "duh" but for me this is MAJOR.

They bring donuts in to work every Friday. I have not had any in weeks. They don't even appeal to me.

I made diabetic peanut butter cookies a couple days ago. I ate... about 3 total. That's it. They were fine, but they filled me up and I didn't really want them. And I didn't eat three at once. No... I had one. Then about 4 hours later I had one. And the next morning, I had ONE.

I have also noticed at night when I make a plate of food for dinner... I can't finish it. I am able to cut my portions waaaay down.

Last night I felt like eating popcorn so I popped a bag. I had one handful. Threw the rest away. I didn't want anymore.

I'm finding joy in cooking again, trying all these new recipes, and taking ones I love and trying to make them healthier and taste good. I'm discovering the world of spices. And it's FUN to use them!

I made stir fry last night and threw some red chili paste in my stir fry sauce. REALLY good.  I had a nice big plate of stir fried brocolli, mushrooms, onions, zuchinni, cabbage, and steak strips. (No shirataki noodles this time). I couldn't finish the plate. Normally I could have eaten the WHOLE PAN of stir fry. But I could not even finish the plate!

Now....if starting to exercise was as easy and as much fun... I'd be in GREAT shape!!

No comments: