Monday, February 25, 2013

Power of Prayers

Last Thursday my 81 year old dad fell on the ice when he went to the mailbox. He landed in a snowbank and broke his hip. He used his lifeline alert bracelet and was able to summon help and get an ambulance to take him to the hospital.

He was not able to have surgery until Sunday because his blood sugar and blood thinner levels were too high. But he did get the surgery yesterday. Originally they thought his hip was shattered and he would have to have a full hip replacement. But once they got inside during the surgery they saw that it wasn't as bad as they originally thought and they were able to fix it with pins and screws. I believe that all the prayers going up in his behalf was part of that little miracle.

Less than 24 hours after his surgery he was in physical therapy learning how to use a walker. I don't think even "I" could handle physical therapy that soon!  It wore him out but he did as he was told.  I believe this man will make a full recovery. He actually likes rehab. I remember after his quadruple bypass he had to do cardiac rehab and he did EVERYTHING the doctors told him to. He did all the exercises. He was faithful to going to his rehab every week. And years later, he STILL likes to go for walks every single day.

I believe, he will get back to going for walks even with this setback.

He was in a lot of pain waiting for that surgery. He is more comfortable now, they have been able to manage the pain.

Shoot, a couple of hours after his surgery he was eating dinner and having visitors.

All of these are very encouraging.

I still haven't talked to him on the phone yet but will call him tonight when I get home from work. I haven't wanted to disturb him. I did try calling once and got no answer. But if I don't call him soon he's going to get upset with me.

It's been hard for me to be far away and it has reopened a lot of emotions from when my mom went through the same thing. I have kind of been an emotional wreck this past weekend. Drowned my sorrows in Ben and Jerrys. LOL  

I hope he makes a full recovery.

1 comment:

The Lamoreauxs said...

I'm glad to hear he's doing so well!! We really need to figure out a time we can go visit!