Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Homemade Twix bars



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Crust:
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup Butter plus 2 additional tablespoons butter
Mix and bake in 8 x 8 pan for 20 minutes.
Caramel:
2 TB corn syrup
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and continue to stir/whip in pan for additional two minutes until it becomes a little bit thicker. Then pour over crust and allow to cool.
Chocolate:
Melt 2 cups white or milk chocolate chips and pour over the caramel. Cool. Cut and enjoy!
UPDATE: WEDNESDAY
I made these last night and used 1 cup of melted white chocolate which I spread on half of it, and I used 1 cup of semi-sweet choc on the other half. I did NOT like semi-sweet and would definitely encourage using MILK CHOCOLATE chips instead. The original recipe called for semi-sweet, but I have changed it now to say white or milk chocolate.
Also, do not store them in the refrigerator or you will break your teeth on them because the caramel will harden like a brick. After I spread the chips on, I did put them in the fridge for only ten minutes so the chocolate would harden up enough for me to cut them and try them.
Keep them at room temperature, covered well so they don't dry out. (If they last that long. )

No comments: