Sunday, March 8, 2009

keeping fingers crossed

I had my cervical spine epidural on Friday. They gave me 10 mg of valium under my tongue because they wanted me relaxed, but not asleep. (I thought they were putting me out for this, but found out no). The gal who was trying to start an IV in me was dropping things all over the floor... and she blew my veins TWICE. She acted like she had never done this before. (Maybe she hasn't?) so she finally called in the other nurse who got it in on the first stick with no problem.

They had me sit there for a few minutes and kept asking me if I was "feeling the Valium" yet and I kept saying "No" because I didn't feel any different.

I have a high tolerance to medications so I really wasn't expecting to feel anything weird. We went in to the procedure room and they got me up on the table. I had to lay face down with my chest propped up on pillows and my head hanging down with my forehead on another pillow. It took some manuvering to get me in the right position. But we got it. The doctor, the nurses, the x-ray tech, and everybody came in and they all kept asking me "So are you feeling the valium yet?" I kept telling them "No... I feel just the same."

They had the radio on in there and so the doctor started singing and then he said, "Well, you're not laughing hysterically so I think you ARE feeling the Valium." I said, "Why would I laugh? You have a nice singing voice." and everybody laughed and the doctor said, "Ok. now I KNOW she's feeling the valium. Let's begin."

I honestly didn't feel like I was feeling any different. But whatever.

So they washed off the area with betadine and then they draped me and that is where I had a bit of a problem because I am claustrophobic and I forgot to tell them that so I am laying there face down with my head covered.... I tried not to panic. I just closed my eyes and kept reminding myself it was only going to be about 15 to 20 minutes and I could handle it....

It hurt quite a bit when they put the needle in. Sort of feels like a NAIL going into your spine. If anybody has had an epidural with a birth, you know what I mean.... imagine that feeling in your neck.

They injected the stuff and it was a burning hot sensation that was not pleasant, and freaked me out for a second. I told them it was really hot and he said "That's normal. It will go away in a minute." And it did.

Then, I was done and they took me back to another room where I got dressed and they gave me cookies and sprite and had me sit so they could take my vital signs for about 20 minutes.

Suddenly my LEFT arm got all numb and tingly. My thumb and my fingers were numb and it was numb half-way up my arm. I told the nurse and she looked like "Uh-oh" and she left. But when she came back, she said the doctor said it was normal and from the position I was laying in on the table and if it didn't get better before I left, then he would come in. But about 10 minutes later it was back to normal.

My friend Lisa picked me up and drove me home. I got home at 10 am. I immediately went to bed and I slept until 6:30pm.!!!! David made me some mac n cheese and then I went back to sleep at 7:30 and slept clear through til 8am the next morning! I also slept most of the day Saturday. My neck area feels like I got hit by a truck, but I think the medicine is starting to work now because I haven't needed any Lortab.

I hope this is the magic bullet that helps me get my life back.

Well, I have managed to shower today, and write this, but now I am tired again so I am going to lay down.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Hope you start to feel better soon. I hate back pains.

I am just curious (and probably being nosey), but are you in contact with A?