Tuesday, June 7, 2011

YUMMMMMMMY Vegetable Soup







Time to start eating healthy and try to drop some of the depression pounds I accumulated over the winter.


Last night I made a huge pot of very awesome veggie soup.



I chopped up red, orange and yellow peppers, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, brocolli and sauteed them in a little bit of olive oil until they were starting to get tender. Then I added a can of Italian stewed tomatoes, a can of corn, a can of drained and rinsed white beans and a can of drained and rinsed navy beans. Covered it all with water and threw in 4 chicken herb boullion cubes. Bring to a boil, then turned down to medium and cooked til the veggies were done. (about 20 minutes).


Then I turned the heat up and threw in a couple handfuls of whole wheat linguine that I had broken up into small pieces. Cooked that ten minutes till it was almost done. Then threw in a couple big handfuls of fresh spinach leaves and cooked for 3 more minutes.


Then I took it off the heat and added, salt, lemon pepper, granulated garlic, cumin, thyme, chili powder, and some all purpose seasoning (chef somebody... I can't remember the name).


It was so good that I had FOUR bowls of it. And David, (who is extremely picky) ate it and said "Wow, this looks gross but it sure tastes good!"


I have enough for last me for a few days. It's healthy. It's got the good fat in it (and not very much because I only used about 2 teaspoons of olive oil) and the beans provide the protein.


It's also nice and filling! And the wonderful thing is that this is a recipe where you can adapt to whatever you like. Put whatever veggies you want. I wanted to put some butternut squash in it, but they didn't have any at walmart. Next time I will put that, and maybe some zuchinni.


No comments: